Friends of the Wm Green Farmhouse

About the Farm House

The William Green House, listed on the state and national Registers of historic places, is a significant example of colonial farmhouse architecture. This historic treasure, dating from ca. 1730, is located on the campus of The College of New Jersey in Ewing Township, NJ. An earlier house, to which the current house was attached, stood on the site circa 1700. Its roofline is preserved and visible from the 1830 portion of the house. In 2007, TCNJ funded a mothballing and stabilization of the house to ensure that no further deterioration occurs while funds are being raised. For several years the Friends, in partnership with TCNJ, were raising funds for a full restoration so the house can be used as an alumni house with a museum function; however, the college recently announced they will not sanction a use or help us to restore or maintain the house, despite the longstanding fact that they own the house. Due to their lack of commitment to maintaining a house that once was in liveable condition, the house has been placed on the Preservation New Jersey 2015 list of 10 Most Endangered Historic Sites.

The house today mirrors the area’s architectural history with sections from three distinct building periods.

Circa 1717 to 1730 section: The oldest remaining section, is the southeast segment of the building. This was originally a 2 ½ story brick house. The fine Flemish bond brickwork of this section is similar to that used in the 1719 Trent House in Trenton. Its interior preserves original 18th-century detailing.
Circa 1750 to 1790 section: The second oldest section, added as the Green family grew, is located behind the oldest portion. It forms the northeast segment of the house and added four rooms and a stair hall.
Circa 1830 section: The third building stage, a two-room-deep brick addition to the west, nearly doubled the size of the house.

Click here to download a pdf brochure about The Friends

Construction Phases

Greens Who Lived in the Wm Green House

(from a report  prepared for the Division of Building and Construction; New Jersey State Department of Treasury; Control No: DBC 1776 in August of 1976 by Short & Ford , Architects and Heritage Studies, Historical Consultants. Both were based in Princeton, NJ)

Memoirs by Blackwell Family Members Who Lived in the Wm Green House

Floor Plans from 1976 Feasibility Study

News Articles