Lewis P. Green
Lewis Green, son of Henry P., married  Sarah Morrison; had children:  John W. , Daivd Jeffery, Frank, and Emily.

Lewis Left Ewing as a young man of eighteen or so, and went around the horn to Australia. There he married and was a storekeeper in a gold rush town. He later moved to the Melbourne vicinity. Robyn Clarke painstakingly gathered nearly all of the following information.
From Rob Reeder Green's Book. Before quoting the passage about Uncle Lewis Green, a bit of background information is necessary. When Uncle Lewis returned from Australia for a visit, he found his family living, not on the original homestead, but "next door" on the Amos Reeder Green Farm. Henry P. had mortgaged the William Green  homestead to speculate on a peach crop, and had lost the farm. This Reeder Green Farm was an old Hendrickson farm, adjacent to the original William Green homestead. In Chapter 16 Robert says:  "Henry P. bought the farm at the east end of Carlton Avenue (a Hendrickson farm, which later became the Reeder Green farm), and placed his son William, and wife Augustine, on it to farm. After some years Uncle William, as he was known to us, was lured to the city and his father took over the farm and eventually moved there."

The following passages are from Chapter 15, "Amos Reeder Green Farm", of Robert Reeder Green's book:
"My grandfather, Henry P. Green left the old Green Homestead in the 1870s when my Dad was young and lived in this house the rest of his life, as did my father who died in 1944. My sisters Virginia Green Bainbridge and Edith Green Orr and I were born and grew up in this lovely tree shaded country farm house and at the time it was a true farming area."-pp 78-79

"My father often talked about his Uncle Lewis and when he returned from Australia. These could have been some of the first tales from the South Pacific. Uncle Lewis Green went around the horn to Australia as a lad of eighteen or so and lived there the rest of his life, except for one visit back home when he was in his sixties. The folks had not seen Uncle Lewis in forty years and had not heard from him in many, many years, and had no idea whether he was alive or dead. On a summer Sunday afternoon the folks were sitting on the front porch and this middle-aged man came walking up the old toll road from Trenton and turned in the front gate. He appeared to be a stranger in these parts and paused as if to inquire the way, but before he spoke a word my grandmother[1] who had been on the porch, got up from the chair and made for this man with outstretched arms exclaiming, 'Lewis, Lewis, at last you came back.' How she recognized him after all those years no one ever knew. Uncle Lewis was married and had a family in Melbourne and after a month or so returned to Australia. He claimed there were too many people here for him and wanted to get back to the wide-open spaces. This was one hundred years ago! What would he think of Ewing Township today!! My Dad often related tales he told of Australia, about its vast dry plains where lived the wild people who had no homes or clothes. They just wandered on the desert and lived off the land (aborigines of the stone age) and about the kangaroos. Uncle Lewis never came back again and I suppose was buried in Melbourne. Many years later we learned that his son or grandson became the postmaster of Melbourne."-pp94-95

[1] "Grandmother" would be Virginia Reeder, wife of Henry P.
Since Lewis P. Green was born about 1832, this visit must have happened in the early 1890s.-- Edito


THE FAMILY OF LEWIS PERRINE GREEN IN AUSTRALIA
by Robyn Clarke

The first known information about Lewis Perrine Green’s life in Australia is the confirmation of his marriage to Sarah Jane Morrison of London, England on 30th October, 1856 in The Parsonage, (Church of England) Castlemaine, Victoria.  He was said to be 24 years and she, 18 years.  His place of residence was Jones’ Creek and his occupation at this time was a Storekeeper.  Copy of original Marriage Certificate on file.
It is interesting to note that on the Birth Certificates of their children their Marriage date is given as 24th May, 1856 at Castlemaine.*
Sarah Jane (Morrison) Green was the daughter of William Morrison, an Engineer and Susanna Young of England (as stated on her marriage certificate).
Lewis Perrine Green was one of nine children of Samuel Moore Green (farmer) and Mary “Polly” Green (Perrine) of Hunterdon Co. New Jersey, United States.
*ed. note: Probably because their first child was "premature."



In the 1850’s, Jones’ Creek was a thriving goldmining settlement situated in the North Western goldfields of Victoria.  It was commonly called Waanyarra Township and was the centre for the area.   There was a school,  two hotels, The White Swan and the Jones Creek Hotel closer to Tarnagulla, several stores and a post office, which remained open until the 1920’s.  The creek itself was formed by the junction of Catch Me, Nuggetty and Great Northern Leads and only ran 3 km before joining the Waanyarra Creek.  The whole district is often referred to as Jones Creek so many of the nuggets labelled Jones Creek may have been found in its tributaries.

One report of the diggings in 1853, at the time Lewis was there stated, “At Jones Creek the nuggets were as thick as blackberries.”

Lewis and Sarah Jane journeyed throughout the goldfields.  This is evident by the locations of the births of their children.

The Children of Lewis & Sarah




Their first child, John W. Green was born at home on the 20th February, 1857 in the diggings at Jones’ Creek.  The birth was registered in the nearby town of Dunolly on 9th April, 1857.  Without evidence to the contrary it is presumed John W. Green was called “Henry”, as there is no further reference to John W. Green other than his birth certificate.  Similarly, there is no birth certificate for a “Henry”Green and they shared the same age.  So from this point, John W. becomes “Henry”.

Second child, David Jeffery Green was born 20th April, 1860 at the diggings called Corfu Reef, District of Newbridge. 
Corfu Reef was a very rich reef  worked for many years and was apparently the source of two significant leads.  It was discovered by Spero Corfu and party in 1859 at the time Lewis and family were there.

Third child, Frank Green, was born at Chisholms Flat, just south of Corfu Reef  on 28th November, 1861 and registered at Tarnagulla 17th December, 1861.
Chisholms Flat was an area named after Mother Chisholm, who had a grog shop and brothel in what had, before the rush, been an isolated part of the bush.  The lead was traced into Billy Goat Flat then lost.

Fourth child, Emily Green, was born 20th May, 1864 in Cays’ (Kaye’s) goldmining diggings in the district of Newbridge.  Newbridge was a large settlement north of Chisholms Flat and west of Bendigo and is still a little township today.

It appears that between the time of Emily’s birth and the fifth child, Florence, the family moved from this central western area of Victoria and settled in another goldmining town to the east, called Woods Point.

The fifth child, Florence Green was born 9th May, 1868 in the town of Wood’s Point.  This area had 50 mines in full swing and hundreds of small claims by 1865, all were producing gold.  Reaching the town’s peak around this time, the population had increased to around 2000 and had 3 suburbs.  There were about 30 hotels, dozens of grog shanties and brewery, police station and sturdy lockup, a hospital, several doctors, a chemist, private schools, dancing saloons, a printery and newspaper etc. etc.  Wood’s Point is now a small township, a relic of the wealthy town it once was.

There is a considerable gap in any information regarding the family’s activities whilst at Wood’s Point, other than an entry in the 1869 edition of the Bailliers Post Office Directory of Victoria which shows them living in Miller Street, Wood’s Point.  Unfortunately devastating bush fires in 1939 wiped out Wood’s Point and most of the historic records of this thriving town were destroyed.

However, from Postal Records, it is found that John W. (Henry) joined the Post Office on 31st May, 1875 at Wood’s Point as a telegram messenger receiving 12/- per week.  He progressed through the Post Office to a mail sorter in Melbourne.  He retired on May 19, 1915 with a pension of 120 pounds and 5/-.  There is a Death Certificate for “Henry” dated 2nd August, 1916, aged 57 years (?) of Bell & Alice Sts., Coburg, Melbourne, probably 239 Bell St., Coburg where his brother, Frank lived, stating he was the son of Lewis and Sarah Jane Green, born in Dunolly area, Victoria.  He was buried in Melbourne General Cemetery, Carlton.  “Henry” died from chronic angina which he had suffered for some years and heart failure. He remained unmarried.
The Argus Newspaper, Melbourne, dated Saturday 5, 1916 read:- DEATHS
“GREEN-On the 2nd August, at 239 Bell Street, Coburg, Henry, beloved eldest son of Sarah and the late Lewis Perine Green, loved brother of Frank, Emily and Mrs. A. Bennett, late of G.P.O., aged 57 years.   American papers please copy.  Deeply regretted.”

Meanwhile, second child, David Jeffery Green died 6th May 1880 from exhaustion due to typhoid fever which he had contracted one month before.  He was aged 19 years and had been working as a“striker” presumably in the gold mines around Wood’s Point; this occupation demanded a strong physical frame.  At the time of his death he was living with his brother, Frank, at 163 Cambridge St., Collingwood.  David Jeffery Green was buried at the Melbourne General Cemetery, Carlton, on 8th May, 1880.  He had not married.

Third child, Frank Green, was employed as a Line laborer (fixing telegraph lines) on 6th April, 1886 for 8 pounds per month with the Post Master General’s Dept.  Eighteen months later promoted to a pillar clearer (mailbox clearer) with horse and covered wagon, receiving 9 pounds per month.  In July 1904 he was promoted to letter carrier (mailman), for which he received 138 pounds per annum.  However, in 1907 he returned to pillar clearer and received 132 pounds per annum.  His final position was as an Assistant, which paid 162 pounds per annum in 1916.  Frank retired early aged 55 years, on 31st August, 1916, shortly after his brother Henry’s death.  He took an annuity instead of a pension of 81 pounds.

Frank died without marrying on 21st November, 1928, aged 66 years at 5 Clifton Grove, Preston, usual residence 10 Charles St., Preston.  He had suffered chronic kidney disease for several years and died of a cerebral haemorrhage.  He was buried on 22nd November, 1928 at the Coburg Cemetery.
From all the documentation collected it is known Frank was living at 163Cambridge St., Collingwood in 1880 – followed by 19 Greeves St., Fitroy, Melbourne in 1899. Thereafter, 7 Woodhead Street, Fitzroy North in 1908 and then following his retirement, 239 Bell Street, Coburg in 1916/22 and finally, following his Mother’s death, 10 Charles St., Preston in 1928.  These are all neighboring suburbs of Melbourne.

It would appear the family, including Sarah Jane (mother), Frank, John W. (Henry), Emily and Florence prior to her marriage, lived together at times in various suburbs in Melbourne.  It is not known where Lewis ventured throughout Victoria, but it appears the family moved from Wood’s Point to Melbourne shortly after the boys became employed with the P.M.G.  There is no mention of Lewis living in Melbourne with the rest of his adult family.  He had many occupations described in the various family certificates, that of a storekeeper, miner, sawyer, mine manager, speculator and civil servant.  No amount of searching has been able to ascertain exactly where he was what.
Further news has come from the back of Florence Green’s marriage certificate.  It is not known whether indeed Lewis attended his daughter’s wedding, as there was no Marriage Notice found in the Argus Newspaper, Melbourne for this time, but in a Declaration on the back of the Marriage Certificate it is stated that her father was Lewis P. Green living in HAY, N.S.W. This document is dated December, 1894.  Although many enquiries have been made, no other reference to his living in Hay has been found.  Hay, a large rural community, is situated in the far south-west region of inland N.S.W. Australia.
The Admissions List from Dunolly Hospital dated 1895 shows Lewis was an outpatient between April and May and then admitted from 17th May to 3rd July 1895 and then discharged.  His illness was recorded as liver congestion.  He was about 62 yrs. at this time. There were no further entries.  Dunolly was the township and area he and Sarah had originally lived in following their marriage.

It is known that Lewis sailed back to New Jersey to visit family aged in his sixties.
After stating to family members his wish to return to Australia, to the wide-open spaces it seems he continued his travelling on to Kansas.  Unfortunately it appears his wishes did not come true as he died in Kansas, U.S.A. in 1899 whilst visiting his brother John Green.

Fourth child, Emily Green died 21st February, 1945 aged 80 years at Vaucluse Private Hospital, East Brunswick, Melbourne and was buried in the Coburg Cemetery.  She had suffered cerebral degeneration for 6 months and arteriosclerosis for years.   She lived at 78 The Avenue, Coburg in 1945, which was also the home of her nephew and Florence (Green)Bennett’s son, William Herbert Bennett and his wife, Frances Isobel (Manton).






THE HERB BENNETT CONNECTION:


LEWIS & SARAH GREEN'S

ONLY GRANDCHILD AND HIS PEDIGREE:








Florence Green's husband, Arthur Richard Bennett was born in Daylesford, Victoria August 18, 1869 to George Bennett  (carpenter/contractor) and Annie Bennett (Sampson).  He was the brother of Frederick Jno. (1859), George Howard (1862), and twins Annie and Henry (1865).  Arthur Richard's older brother, George Howard Bennett married Matilda Theresa Stouckey in Malvern, Melbourne in 1891 and they had 3 children.  It is not known whether Frederick Jno. or the twins survived to adulthood.

1. Children of George Howard Bennett and Matilda Theresa (Stouckey):
Frank Howard Bennett born Ascot Vale in 1895, died December 31, 1981 Kew, Melbourne.  Married Laura Steel in 1920  and had one daughter, Joyce Laura Hergt born 1924 Kew, Melbourne.
Queenie Matilda Bennett born Kensington Hill, Melbourne 1903, died 1979 aged 76 yrs. in Malvern, Melbourne.  Married, no children. 
George Gordon Bennett born Kensington Hill in 1907, died June 2000, Noosa, Queensland aged 93 yrs.  Married Clair, three children.
Father, George Howard Bennett died 1945 aged 83 yrs. in Elsternwick, Melbourne.
Mother, Matilda Theresa Bennett died 1951 in Elsternwick aged 82 yrs.

2.  Children of Florence and Arthur Richard Bennett:
i.  Henry Francis Richard Bennett born Carlton 1895, died aged one year in 1896 in Carlton North.
ii. William Herbert Bennett was born in North Fitzroy in 1900. 

Arthur Richard Bennett was an Engineer, Prison Officer, Pentridge Gaol, Melbourne, and they lived at 50 Huntington Grove, Coburg.  The Vic. Gov. Gazette-1923-Staff List, Penal Department, states he was appointed as a Warder on October 10, 1901 on a salary of 216 pounds per annum.  It is told that during a court hearing in Melbourne, Arthur was guarding two prisoners.  They attacked him and he was seriously injured.  These inmates were sentenced to further years imprisonment for their attack on Arthur and were transported to Beechworth Gaol where Arthur¡¦s son, ¡§Herb¡¨ was the Chief Prison Warder.  It is said he treated them no differently to any of the other prisoners and never made mention of his father¡¦s attack.  In the 1940¡¦s Arthur and Florence owned a grocery store on the corner, Murray and Gilbert Roads, West Preston, Melbourne.

Arthur Richard Bennett died 26th September, 1946 at St. Vincent¡¦s Hospital, Fitzroy aged 77 years from a coronary occlusion.  His usual residence was 50 Huntington Grove, East Coburg.
Florence Bennett (Green) died the previous year on 8th September, 1945 at the Mont Park geriatric and psychiatric hospital in Heidelberg/Carlton, Melbourne aged 77 years.  Dear Florence had been admitted to this hospital on the 5th July 1943 with senile dementia.  An Inquest was held at Mont Park by the City Coroner, Mr. J.W. Marwick on 25th October 1945. Result: Chronic myocarditis and hypostatic pheumonia due to natural causes. (natural).  Her husband and son were with her when she died.
Both Arthur Richard and Florence were buried at Melbourne General Cemetery, Carlton.

LEWIS & SARAH GREEN'S ONLY GRANDCHILD:

William Herbert Bennett, known as "Herb", "Bert" and "Ben", the sole surviving child of Florence and Arthur Bennett, became a Prison Officer at Pentridge Gaol, in the neighboring suburb of Coburg.  On 20th January, 1940 he married Frances Isobel Manton, known as "Isobel", at the Holy Trinity Church, Coburg.  He was aged 39 years, she 29 years.  He was a tall solid man about 6 feet in height.  At this time he lived at 50 Huntington Grove, Coburg, which he eventually inherited from his parents and she, with her grandfather at 1703 Malvern Rd., Glen Iris.  Frances Isobel Manton was the daughter of Ernest Jervis Manton (well known draper of Beechworth) and Mary Ethel Victoria (Harper).  She was born in 1910 in Beechworth, Victoria.  She had a brother Robert Jervis Manton, born 1912, died 1916 and another, Harry Jervis Manton born 1915 who became a doctor lived in Melbourne and later Wangaratta, Vic. with his wife Iris.  He died in 1984 aged 69 yrs.  The Manton family had been pioneers of the Beechworth area for over a century.  Other members of the Manton family owned the large Manton Department store in Melbourne.  Their large home called "Dromkeen" is situated at Riddles Creek.
Dr. Harry J. Manton was a witness of their marriage and presumably William Herbert's best man.  The other witness, and bridesmaid was Isobel Waldon of Beechworth.
From Sands and McDougall's Directory of Victoria it is stated that in 1941 William Herbert and Frances Isobel were living at 78 The Avenue, Coburg and again in the electoral rolls of 1949.
It is known that William Herbert "Bert" Bennett became Chief Prison Officer and Deputy Governor of Beechworth Prison in the 1950's and lived in a residence which was part of the Prison.  He retired in 1965. During his service to the Penal Department, Victoria, he received the Meritorious Service Medal 1930-1959 which on his death was donated to the Burke Museum in Beechworth.  From notes taken whilst talking to fellow officers at Beechworth, it is known "Herb" was a very genuine caring man.  If a prisoner was ill, "Herb" would stay with him and attend his needs.  But at the same time, if later on that prisoner had an untidy cell, "Herb" would have no problems in fining him for untidiness. Whilst in Beechworth, which is situated in Northern Victoria, near the border with Albury, N.S.W., W.H. Bennett was the President of the Board of Management of the Ovens & Murray Hospital for the Aged in 1959/60, having served on the Board for many years.  His strong association with the Christ Church of England in Beechworth as Church Warden, enabled him to represent the Church at the Wangaratta Synod.
In 1965, following Herb's retirement, they built a new home next door to Isobel's cousin, Helen Manton in Beaconsfield Rd., Emerald, north east of Melbourne and moved there from Beechworth with Isobel's father, Mr. Ernest Jervis Manton.  Mr. Manton died aged 90 years in 1968.  Some years later, they transferred to the Walmsley Friendship Village where they lived in Unit 8, Greeves Drive, Kilsyth, on the outskirts of Melbourne.
William Herbert was an excellent organist, having been taught as a child at St. Paul's Cathedral, Melbourne and then playing as assistant organist at that same Cathedral under the direction of Dr. A.E. Floyd. His passion for the organ was borne out as he became chief organist at Christ Church of England, Beechworth, Holy Trinity Church, Coburg, St. Mark's Church in Emerald and St. James' and St. Peters Church at Kilsyth during their married lives.  Isobel was an excellent singer and pianist and both enjoyed the fellowship of their church.  It is interesting to note that Isobel's Aunt and previous to that her Grandmother had been the organists for the Christ Church in Beechworth going back to the pipe organ's installation in 1887.
William Herbert Bennett died on the 22nd January 1986 at East Ringwood, aged 85 years after a year long battle with cancer.
Frances Isobel Bennett died in the Nursing Home of Walmsley Friendship Village on 22nd January 1989 aged 78 years.  There were no children of this marriage.
Following cremation at the Springvale Crematorium their ashes were interred in the Memorial Garden of St. James and St. Peter Anglican Church, 686 Mt. Dandenong Road, Kilsyth.
Their Estate was divided equally amongst six beneficiaries: The Ovens and Murray Home for the Aged at Beechworth; Ovens and District Hospital at Beechworth (which bought 4 new beds for the wards); The Churchwardens and Vestrymen of - The Christ Church at Beechworth; The Holy Trinity Church at Coburg; St. Mark¡¦s Church at Emerald and St. James' and St. Peters' Church at Kilsyth.

This is the Headstone of some of the Green Family in Melbourne General Cemetery, Carlton:



It reads:

"In Loving Remembrance ¡V David Jeffery GREEN, the dearly beloved son of Lewis and Sarah Green who died 6th May, 1880, aged 19 years.
Also, Henry GREEN, beloved son of the above, who died 2nd August, 1916, aged 57 years.
In Memory of our beloved mother, died Sept. 16, 1922 aged 80 years.
Also our beloved father died at Kansas, U.S.A. Sept.  ?3, 1899, aged 65 years."





LEWIS PERRINE GREEN died in Kansas, U.S.A. September 3, 1899 aged 65 years probably whilst visiting his younger brother, John Green.

SARAH JANE GREEN whilst living with her son, Frank, passed away on 16th September 1922 at 239 Bell St., Coburg.  She was aged around 83 years and suffered senility and bronchitis at the time of her death…According to her death certificate her remaining family consisted of Frank, 60 years, Emily 57 years and Florence 54 years. She was also buried in Melbourne General Cemetery, Carlton.
In the Argus Newspaper, Melbourne, dated Tuesday, September 19, 1922 – DEATH
“GREEN – On the 16th September, at her residence, 239 Bell Street, Coburg West, Sarah Jane, relict of the late Lewis P. Green, beloved mother of Frank, Emily, Florence (Mrs. Bennett) and the late Henry and Jeffery, devoted grandma of Herbert, aged 80 years.  (Privately interred)  Sleeping.”